Terms and Conditions
To ensure my clients and I enter into a working relationship that runs smoothly and efficiently, I have outlined below the terms and conditions under which I work and operate my business. Every client will need to agree to these terms and conditions in order to secure a booking for my services.
The following terms and conditions apply to any work I do on behalf of my client:
- I will provide editing services to the client as agreed upon in writing at the time a booking is made;
- Once I have completed the work to which both parties have agreed, the client is under no obligation to offer me further work, and I am under no obligation to accept further work offered by the client;
- I will personally carry out all work for the client—no third parties will be contracted to carry out any service agreed upon by myself and the client;
- I confirm that I am self-employed and responsible for my own income tax and super contributions;
- I confirm that I am not currently registered for GST.
Prior to commencing any work, the client and I will agree to the terms of the project as follows:
- the medium in which the work will be carried out—Microsoft Word, hardcopy, PDF, EPUB or MOBI file;
- how the material will be annotated—Track Changes, proofreading symbols, PDF annotations, etc.;
- the style and dictionary preferences of the author—see Reference Materials
- the length of time required to complete the project, as advised by me;
- the fee for the project, based on the estimate or quote provided by me after evaluation of the material to be edited;
- the date by which the material will need to be delivered to me by the client;
- the date by which I will complete the project and invoice the client.
- I will provide the client with a quote for the services required, and in the case of line editing, copyediting, or proofreading, the quote will be provided after evaluation of the material to be edited.
- The client and I will agree to the fee for the project in writing.
- In the unlikely event it becomes clear after work commences that a project needs significantly more work
thanwas evident from the sample provided, I reserve the right to renegotiate the fee and/or the time frame needed to complete the work—in a case such as this, I will endeavourto notify the client as soon as possible.
- I will supply the client with an invoice upon completion of the project.
- I will return the completed project to the client once payment for my services has been received.
In order for the client to secure a booking for my services, both parties must sign an Agreement for Editing Services, which ensures a smooth working relationship. The client must also pay a non-refundable booking fee of 20% of the total project fee. This helps to ensure I have a continuous flow of work and income.
- By making a booking, the client secures the provision of my services for a specific project and during a specific period of time, as outlined in the Agreement for Editing Services signed by both parties.
- By making a booking, the client will need to confirm they have read and agree to these terms and conditions.
- The booking fee will be deducted from the final invoice issued upon completion of the project.
- The booking is considered secured once the Agreement has been signed by both parties and I have received the non-refundable booking fee.
- Cancellation during a project: In the unlikely event that the client cancels work after a project has commenced, I reserve the right to invoice for 50% of the total project fee (less booking fee) OR for the amount of work already undertaken, whichever is greater.
- Cancellation prior to project commencement:
- In the unlikely event that the client wishes to cancel a booking with less than two weeks before work is due to commence, I reserve the right to invoice for 50% of the total project fee (less booking fee)
- If the client wishes to cancel a booking with notice of less than one month but more than two weeks before work is due to commence, the booking fee will not be refunded, but no other charges will apply. The client is welcome to make another booking, though a new booking fee will apply.
- Rescheduling a booking: At least one month’s notice is required if the client wishes to reschedule a secured booking. The booking fee will be transferred to the rescheduled booking and the Agreement between both parties will need to be amended.
- Both the client and I have the right to terminate an Agreement at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- All materials delivered to me by the client for the project agreed upon are owned by the client.
- Once payment of the total project fee has been received, any content created by me during completion of the project will become the copyright of the client, unless otherwise agreed upon.
I will endeavour to complete every project to the best of my ability—see my standards for editing practice—but editing is often subjective. I will justify any suggestion or change I make during the course of my work, but am happy to provide clarification should the client have questions.